Monday, August 1, 2011

Rollerblading


 

As this blog is about the many pieces of my heart tonight I shall divulge the "jock" side of me. I LOVE to roller blade. I am not the greatest at it and from time to time I fall down but overall I am fairly good and it is a GREAT workout. As I love to roller blade so much I asked for mom and dad to get me my Christmas present early, like August early. I wanted a new pair of roller blades and didn't truly want to spend the money myself. Now while this may sound like a cheap way to get roller blades (and come on it is) it was also a good idea as now my mother will have one less person to worry about at Christmas. She has also bought my brother’s Christmas present early, as well as dad's present sooo.. I was the odd man out; now only my hubby gets a present at Christmas. But I digress. So this Sunday mom and I were at the mall together (rare occurrence but it was brother's birthday and we were celebrating there) and she had decided that she was going to buy my roller blades. The Dick's at the mall did not have the roller blades I wanted so mom got me a gift card and hubby and I went to another Dick's and actually bought better roller blades then I originally chose.


So tonight rolls around and I am DYING to use my roller blades. Mom and I go to Weight Watchers (lost another 1.6 lbs.), we eat dinner and then on my mom's wise suggestion I roller blade home. Now my parent's house is a 10-minute walk from my house so it is not bad to roller blade home. So I strap on my blades and head out, down their ramp and bump into their car (it was hilly-ish and hard to stop). Head down the drive and down the road and while a little unsteady not bad. These are new roller blades and I am not quite used to how they feel and glide. So I go tooling down the street and do fairly well (I was able to stop/slow down before rolling into McCord road). So I decide instead of trying to blade on the uneasy sidewalk and go the short way home, when I get to "my street" I will go in the street. Now our street is truly two streets that join together and make a horseshoe shape. So I am doing well, feeling good, gaining speed, gaining speed, starting to wiggle while still gaining speed and I fall. No one saw me thank goodness but I have marks on my hands and my leg hurts a little. Now I can see my house from where I am but I am not willing to blade there as our street has a fairly good decline come to find out and I can't really stop myself, so I walk in people's yards until I get to the house across the street from my neighbor's and I cross the street and make it to my yard where I then walk across the yard.


After making it into the house I check my leg that has lovely road rash on it (see below) and survey for anymore damage (none as far as I can tell). So all in all not a bad experience, I will not be hanging up my roller blades, I just may find flatter terrain for awhile. And D**N what a workout it was my leg muscles are sore now. I shall try again tomorrow, for now I shall take Advil.
Right Hand

Left hand


Leg road rash


No comments:

Post a Comment